Toshiba Carrier Corporation ("Toshiba Carrier") conducts business activities based on our management ideals and self-imposed operational standards, with the aims of contributing to society, acquiring the trust of all persons, and meeting the various expectations placed on Toshiba Carrier.
Your personal data is a precious asset that must be guarded diligently, and it is also an important resource for Toshiba Carrier as a source for creating new value. Toshiba Carrier handles your personal data in accordance with the following basic policy.
1. Basic policy
- (1) Toshiba Carrier strictly observes the Act for Protection of Computer Processed Personal Data and other applicable Japanese laws, regulations and social norms regarding the handling of personal data. In addition, Toshiba Carrier has also established Internal Bylaws Concerning the Protection of Personal Data ("Toshiba Carrier Bylaws"), and strives diligently to reliably implement, maintain and continuously review these bylaws for improvement.
- (2) Toshiba Carrier has established a management system for the protection of personal data, and endeavors to make sure that all company officers and employees are familiar with the Toshiba Carrier Bylaws.
- (3) Toshiba Carrier uses personal data only for the indicated purpose and range of use. In addition, Toshiba Carrier will not disclose or provide personal data obtained from you, to any third party, without your agreement or other valid legal reason.
- (4) Toshiba Carrier will strive to ensure that personal data is accurate and up to date, and to prevent personal data from being improperly accessed, lost, destroyed, illicitly altered, or leaked, etc.
- (5) Toshiba Carrier will respond swiftly and in good faith to requests for disclosure, and other inquiries from persons, regarding their own personal data.
Effective October 1, 2001
Revised April 1, 2005
Hirokazu Kondo, President & CEO
Toshiba Carrier Corporation
2. How personal data is used
When requesting personal data, Toshiba Carrier will indicate clearly, beforehand, how that personal data will be used, and will use that personal data only within the stated range. Should the need arise to use personal data in a manner that exceeds the range indicated in advance, Toshiba Carrier will contact you regarding the matter and obtain your agreement before such usage takes place.
For more information on how personal data held by Toshiba Carrier is used, see How personal data is used.
3. Provision of personal data to third parties
- (1) Toshiba Carrier will not disclose or provide your personal data to any third party, except in the following cases.
- 1) With the agreement of the person(s) concerned.
- 2) When required to do so by law or legal process.
- 3) When necessary to protect the life, safety or property of others, and the agreement of the person concerned is difficult to obtain.
- 4) When entrusting the handling of personal data to a third party, within the range needed to achieve the stated purpose of use.
- 5) When business activities are taken over as a result of mergers, corporate splits, business transfer, or other reasons.
- (2) Irrespective of the stipulations stated in (1) above, when Toshiba Carrier considers a situation appropriate to have a Toshiba Carrier affiliate or agent, or a Toshiba Corporation affiliate (including Toshiba Corporation) respond to customer inquiries regarding products, repair or service, Toshiba Carrier may provide the customer's name, address, telephone number and other personal data to these affiliated companies, etc.
However, in such case you may also request that Toshiba Carrier not provide your personal data to affiliated companies, etc.
4. Inquiries concerning personal data
- (1) Inquiries concerning your own personal data should be made to the division where the personal data was registered (in the case of a website, the division in charge of managing that website). (Contact Us)
- (2) Please be aware that it may be necessary to provide personal data, in order to use someservices provided by Toshiba Carrier (including the services of some websites operated by Toshiba Carrier).
- (3) Children under 16 years of age should only provide personal data, after receiving the consent of their parent or guardian. (Elementary and junior high school students should discuss the matter thoroughly with their parent or guardian.)
- (4) Calls made to the Toshiba Carrier Customer Service Hotline and other numbers may be recorded to ensure that customer requests and comments are not missed.
- (5) Toshiba Carrier cannot be held responsible for ensuring the safety of personal data at other companies' websites, that which may be accessed through links on Toshiba Carrier's websites.
How personal data is used
Toshiba Carrier uses personal data for the following purposes.
1. Personal data of customers and potential customers
- (1) Product shipping
- (2) Sending information on products,services and special promotions
- (3) Providing product support and maintenance
- (4) Responding to inquiriesand consultations
- (5) Issuing warranty certificates and providing warranty service
- (6) Providing various membership services
- (7) Product development, questionnaire surveys and market monitoring activities
- (8) Execution of contracts
- (9) Negotiations, discussions and other interactions with customer
2. Personal data concerning government and public workers, and other public servants
Liaison, reports, inquiries and other communication, with the authorities concerned, when necessary for business operations.
3. Personal data related to company officers and employees of suppliers, clients, and other companies
- (1) Liaison, negotiations and other communication necessary for business operations
- (2) Management of supplier and client information, payments and receipts
4. Personal data concerning job applicants
- (1) Providing hiring and other information, and in communicating with job applicants(including internships)
- (2) Management of Toshiba Carrier hiring operations
The main business field in which Toshiba Carrier uses personal data is as follows.
Air conditioning equipment (home and commercial)
Privacy Notice for Toshiba AC Control App Users
1. About this notice
Protecting your personal data and helping you control how we use and share it are very important to us.
In this notice, we explain how we collect, use, disclose, and protect the personal data that we receive from you. Please take the time to read and understand this notice.
2. Information about us
For the purpose of data protection law, we Toshiba Carrier Corporation (“we”, “us” and “our”) are a data controller in respect of your personal data.
(a) Our main office address: 72-34 Horikawa-cho, Saiwai-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa-ken, 212-8585, JAPAN
(b) Our email address: Tcc-GlobalContact@ml.toshiba.co.jp
We designate Toshiba Carrier Europe S.A.S. as our representative. The contact details of our representative are as follows.
(a) Our representative’s office address: Route de Thil - 01120 Montluel, France
(b) Our representative’s email address: Tcc-GlobalContact@ml.toshiba.co.jp
In this notice:
(a) your “personal data” means any data which relates to you and from which you can be identified;
(b) our “affiliates” includes our subsidiaries, our parent companies, and any subsidiaries of our parent companies;
(c)“processing” means any activity or operation that is carried out in respect of your personal data, such as collecting, storing, using, transferring or deleting it, and
(d) “app” means the Toshiba AC Control application that enables you to control your compatible air conditioners using a compatible device (smartphones, tablets, etc.).
4. How we collect your personal data and what personal data we collect
We will collect and process the following personal data about you:
(a) Information you give us. This includes information about you that you give us when installing the app and setting the information. The information that you give us will be:
user name, password and the name of the room or the floor where the air conditioning is set.
(b) Information we collect about you. When you operate the air conditioner through the app, we automatically collect information regarding the ID of the Smart device control interface between your compatible device and air conditioners, the settings of air conditioner and the operational status of your air conditioner, including the name of the room or the floor where the air conditioning is set.
5. Purpose and legal basis of processing personal data
- We use the personal data that we hold about you so that you can control your compatible air conditioner in and outside of your room and that we provide such services through this app and the management, maintenance and improvement of this app.
The legal basis for the processing of your personal data is your consent.
We will only use your personal data to the extent that it is necessary to do so to fulfil the purposes described above.
6. Disclosure of personal data to recipients
We may share your personal data with recipients in the situations described below:
(a) Employees of our Global Business Division of Product Planning Department (and, in some cases, employees of other departments) and our affiliates, who are authorised and need to access the data; and,
(b) Outsourcing companies which store your personal data in their servers and/or to which we entrust the processing such as deletion of your personal data.
7. Storage limit of personal data
We will retain the personal data that we collect about you while we provide the services of this app, except to the extent that we are required by law to retain it for a longer period of time in which case, we will retain it for the period required by law.
8. Your rights
You have a number of legal rights in relation to the personal data that we hold about you. These rights include:
(a) the right to obtain information regarding the processing of your personal data and access to the personal data which we hold about you;
(b) the right to request that we rectify your personal data if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
(c) the right to request that we erase your personal data in certain circumstances. This may include (but is not limited to) circumstances in which you withdraw your consent;
(d) the right to request that we restrict our processing of your personal data in certain circumstances. This may include (but is not limited to) circumstances in which:
(i) you dispute the accuracy of your personal data (but only for the period of time necessary for us to verify its accuracy) ; or
(ii) we no longer need to use the personal data except for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims;
(e) the right to receive any personal data which we process about you on the basis of your consent (as opposed to any other legal ground) in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and/or request that we transmit that data to a recipient where this is technically feasible. Please note that this right only applies to personal data which you have provided to us;
(f) the right to withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data at any time. Please note, however, that we may still be entitled to process your personal data if we can rely on another legal ground for doing so;
(g) the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection regulator (details of which are provided below) if you think that any of your rights have been infringed by us.
You can exercise your rights by contacting us using the information about us above.
9. Where to obtain more information
The French Commission Nationale de l’Informatique et des Libertés (“CNIL”) is the lead supervisory authority that bears the primary responsibility for supervising our compliance with data protection laws in Europe.
You can lodge a complaint with the CNIL or find out more information about your rights by contacting the CNIL, or by searching its website, at https://www.cnil.fr/en/home .
If you are not living in France, you can lodge a complaint or ask for more information about your rights to your national Supervisory Authority. You may find the list and contact details of all European Supervisory authorities at https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en .
If you have questions, comments and requests regarding this privacy notice, please contact us using the information about us above.